Scalloped potatoes are a delicious dish that is a favorite in many families. Original scalloped potato recipes call for dairy, but not this one! This paleo and dairy-free rendition of scalloped potatoes will become a favorite! This recipe was made by our friend Kayla, over at Kaylas Kitch & Fix!
- 4 Tbsp ghee, divided
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 13.5 fl oz can full-fat coconut milk
- 3 lbs organic Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/4 cup cassava starch or flour
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 Tbsp chopped chives
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and coat your cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon of your ghee.
- Wash potatoes, then use a mandolin to slice into thin circles and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons of ghee and cook garlic until fragrant.
- Next, add in the cassava starch until garlic is coated evenly.
- Slowly add in the bone broth, whisking continuously.
- Lastly, add in coconut milk, spices and chives and bring to a simmer to thicken while continuing to whisk.
- Once thick, add a small layer to the bottom of your skillet and spread evenly. Arrange a layer of overlapping potatoes and top with the sauce.
- Repeat the layers until the skillet is full and be sure the top layer is the sauce.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and remove the foil, then cook for an additional 30 minutes.