Broccoli Soup is one of those staple soups that nearly everybody loves. It’s creamy, rich, savory and comforting. It’s definitely a favorite in our home and this recipe elevates it by not only adding our bone broth as a base, but also using coconut milk instead of dairy, making it Whole30 Compliant!
- 2 tablespoons of ghee
- 4 shallots roughly chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli florets or frozen broccoli
- 1/2 green apple, peeled and diced
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, boiled and roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 32 ounces Bonafide Provisions chicken bone broth
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 13.5 ounces full fat coconut milk
- celtic sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- In a large stock pot, melt ghee over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and onions. Sauté until they have become softened. Add the broccoli florets, apple, potatoes and the chicken broth. Top off with some extra broth or water if the vegetables aren’t fully covered.
- Turn the heat up on a high temperature until it reaches a boil. Lower it to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are all soft. This will take anywhere between 15-25 minutes. Stir in the spices and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or by transferring the soup into a high-speed blender pitcher, blend until everything looks smooth throughout. Pour back into the stockpot and whisk in the canned coconut milk.
- Blend again to combine.
- If serving cold, let it come to room temperature and transfer to the refrigerator to cool down for a few hours.