These tender, fall off the bone lamb shanks are braised in a decadent red wine and bone broth gravy. Our collagen-rich bone broth adds depth of flavor and richness to any dish, and this one is definitely no exception!
- 6 grass-fed lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 organic onions, chopped
- 1 large organic table carrot, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 10 cloves garlic, sliced into slivers
- 1 bottle of organic red wine, 750 ml
- 1 24oz. bag Bonafide Provisions Frontier Blend Bone Broth
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Season lamb shanks with sea salt and fresh ground pepper set aside.
- Heat ghee in cast iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Once the ghee is melted and sizzling, add in shanks and brown on all sides. You will likely be able to fit one or two at a time, so you will need to work in batches. Set aside on a plate as they are done. Approx. 8 min.
- Once all shanks are browned. Add onions, carrot, and garlic to the pot and saute until fragrant and they start to get golden brown.
- Add in wine, frontier blend bone broth, rosemary, and thyme. Allow for the mixture to come to a simmer, then add in browned shanks, submerging them into the liquid mixture.
- Place lid on the Dutch oven and allow it to come to simmer.
- Cook for approximately 2 hours, or until meat is tender and falling off the bone.
- Remove lid and allow to cook for 20 more min, or until sauce is reduced to your liking.
- If the sauce is not reduced enough after 20 min, remove shanks and place on warm platter in the oven. Allow sauce to boil and reduce to desired consistency.
- Remove shanks from the oven, plate, and drizzle sauce over the lamb shanks. Garnish with a fresh sprig of rosemary.