Grain Free Stuffing | Bonafide x Simple Mills
It’s our favorite time of year: Thanksgiving! While you are enjoying time with family and friends, worrying about whether or not you can enjoy parts of a holiday meal should be the last thing on your to-do list! We partnered with Simple Mills, our favorite grain + gluten free company, and created an insanely delicious traditional Thanksgiving side dish that is packed with nutrient-dense ingredients and NO grains or gluten that will satisfy even the pickiest tastebuds!
Mushroom + Herb Stuffing
- 1 baked loaf of focaccia bread (made from 1 package of Simple Mills Focaccia & Sandwich bread mix)
- 2 tsp Herbs De Provence
- 1.5 cups diced celery
- 10 oz assorted mushrooms (cremini, porcini, shiitake) sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small shallot, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Celtic Sea Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp butter or ghee
- 2.5 cups of Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
- 3 tbsp bone broth set aside for vegetable mixture
1. Bake the focaccia bread the night before according to the directions provided on the back of Simple Mills Artisan Bread Mix Box. Cover and allow to rest on the countertop overnight.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Cut the loaf of Simple Mills bread into small 1 inch cubes. Spread cubes on a large baking sheet in a single layer and toast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. This will draw out all of the moisture. (1 loaf of bread will yield approx 5 cups of bread cubes)
4. While the bread is toasting, heat a large sauce pan over medium heat and melt butter or ghee. Add onions, celery, garlic, shallots, mushrooms, salt, pepper, and herbs de provence and mix well to combine. Saute over low-med heat until vegetables are tender and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Add in 3 tbsp of broth and scrape up any brown bits in the pan, mixing well. Add additional salt for flavor if needed. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. After 25 minutes, remove bread cubes from oven and transfer to a large glass bowl. Pour mushroom, onion and celery mixture over the bread and mix well. Once well combined, pour 2.5 cups of bone broth over entire mixture again, stirring again to combine all ingredients.
6. In a glass baking pan, use a very small amount of olive oil or butter to grease the pan to prevent sticking. Pour entire mixture, including excess liquid, into glass baking pan.
7. Bake for 40 minutes. Stuffing should look browned and crispy on top. Allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.