You haven't lived until you've tried this recipe and the best part? Besides the bone broth, obviously, is that you can have the delicious carnitas that once use to take you all day to make in LESS THAN ONE HOUR! Thank you Instant Pot!
- 4-6 lbs. pork shoulder slightly trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 oranges sliced in half
- 1 lime sliced in half
- 1 cup Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
- Sprouted corn tortillas
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 lime cut
- Chopped white onion
- Cut your pork shoulder into large cubes – This helps to cut down on cooking time.
- Season the meat well with spices – garlic salt, chili powder, dried oregano, dried basil, cumin, ground coriander, and sweet paprika.
- Add in the cooking liquids – using bone broth instead of regular broth or water provides the complementary amino acids to the muscle meat (amino acids we are laking in our diet) – fresh-squeezed orange and lime juice to top it off.
- Then seal the pot and set it to high pressure for 40 minutes.
- Once the 40 minutes are up, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes, then release any remaining pressure. Open the lid.
- Shred the pork with a knife and fork and you are ready to serve!
We like to serve our Instant Pot pork carnitas in the traditional style of the street taco – dressed simply with cilantro, avocado, and some chopped white onions, but you can add whatever toppings you like!