August 16, 2019
Whole30 Cashew Chicken
This quick and easy Whole30 and Paleo cashew chicken recipe is perfect for a weeknight meal. It doesn't get better than a 20-minute meal that is also healthy and delicious!
This recipe was created by our friend, Tory over at Nourishing The Glow.
Prep time: 8 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon Avocado oil
- 3/4 yellow onion, sliced
- 12 oz broccoli, chopped
- 8 oz can of sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more for garnish)
- 2 Green onions, white bulbs and green stem both sliced (green for garnish, white onion for sautéing)
- Sesame seeds, garnish (I used Eden Shake Sesame and Sea Vegetable Seasoning for extra flavor—from Whole Foods)
For the sauce:
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup Bonafide Provisions Chicken bone broth
- 1 date, pitted and soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2.5 teaspoons arrowroot starch
- Make the sauce first by combining all of the ingredients in a blender. Pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper (careful not to add too much salt because the coconut aminos are pretty salty). Cook the chicken until it is JUST cooked—about 1-2 minutes on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the onions (yellow onion and the white bulb from the green onion) and broccoli. Sauté for about 2-3 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Now add the chicken back into the skillet with the onions and broccoli. Add the water chestnuts.
- Pour the sauce over the veggies and chicken, and simmer for 3-5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add in the cashews, stir until well combined.
- Top with red pepper flakes, green onion, and sesame seeds. Serve alone or over cauliflower rice.